Stonewall Columbus Pride Steering Committee volunteers work tirelessly to help produce our annual Pride events. As the backbone of what we are able to accomplish, we welcome dedicated, engaged, and committed individuals to express their interest in helping us plan an inclusive and welcoming event representative of the LGBTQ+’s communities’ rich diversity,
Opportunities include (but are not limited to):
Accessibility and Parking Chair • Beverage and Ice Chair • Entertainment Chair • March Chair • Vendor Chair • Volunteer Chair
Steering Committee Roles
Steering Committee Chair
- Positions are filled through the application.
- Each Committee has two Chairs on a two-year position rotation. Committee Chairs should expect to commit no less than 6 hours (combined 12) a month from July -Feb. From March to May the Committee Chairs should expect to commit no less than 12 (combined 24) hours a month. During the month of June, the Committee Chairs should expect to commit 24 (combined 48) hours in addition to the entirety of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of pride weekend.
Accessibility and Parking Chair
- The Pride Accessibility and Parking Chairs are responsible for curating and facilitating accessible entrances and exits for all participants in the March and the Festival. Chairs will help create accessibility for all levels of disability and coordinate with staff to create designated accessible areas for guests of Pride at the festival. They will also manage the designated parking lots at Pride and help ensure there is accessible parking. Chairs will ensure there is a parking schedule for performers of the Festival and properly control the flow of traffic in the parking lot for the duration of the weekend. Chairs will also work with staff and the Volunteer Chairs to ensure that those who wish to volunteer are represented accordingly.
- Create accessible entrances and exits and maintain the proper use and safety of those entry points
- Coordinate with Volunteer Chairs to provide accessible opportunities for volunteers
- Manage the parking lot at Goodale Park
- Introduce specific accessible areas in the park for guests
Beverage and Ice Chair
- The Pride Beverage and Ice Chairs are responsible for the coordination of all the designated alcohol areas and maintaining stock. The Chairs will be responsible for facilitating proper alcohol-serving training for all volunteers working at the designated alcohol booths. The Chairs will also be responsible for coordinating the purchase of ice for vendors throughout the weekend. The Chairs will also coordinate ice delivery and pick-up schedules. The Chairs will execute proper communication about alcohol serving times to guests of the Festival. The Volunteer Chairs will work closely with the staff to maintain operations and the staff has the final discretion.
- Train volunteers on Safe Alcohol Serving
- Manage stock and restock for all designated alcohol booths
- Communicate strict last-call procedures to volunteers
- Execute last-call for alcohol and prohibit point of sale
- Coordinate ice pickup and delivery with vendors
The Festival Entertainment Committee is responsible for the general operation of the stages. They will ensure the entertainment lineup represents the vast spectrum of identities within the LGBTQ+ community. This includes a variety of ages, races, sexualities, genders, ethnicities, and performance types. The Festival Entertainment Committee will help execute a run of show for all stages for the weekend. The Entertainment Chairs will work closely with the staff to maintain operations and the staff has final discretion.
- Work with Lighting, AV, & Sound Crews
- Help execute performer car service and parking schedule
- Manage and execute performer riders and dressing room maintenance
- Manage VIP Staging area and Accessible seating area for stages
The Pride March Chairs are responsible for the general operation of the march. They will organize march entry processes, create a time frame, and communicate the check-in process with all entries. The Pride March Committee will work with staff to determine the best line-up route and march route. They will work to ensure all ordinances and permit restrictions are met. March Chairs are responsible for day-of coordination and communication with all March participants. March Chairs will facilitate both the entry and exit points of the March. This position will work closely with Stonewall staff to maintain operations and staff have final discretion.
- Organize march lineup
- Recruit and track march participants
- Facilitate training with March ambassadors
- Coordinate street security
- Communicate with Columbus Police
- Execute day of March entry and exit
The Vendor Relations Chairs are responsible for the booths within the festival. They are responsible for the vetting process of vendors. The Vendor Relations Chairs will select a variety of vendors such as artists, community organizations, businesses, and food vendors. They will work with staff to create the submission form, select the vendors, and manage the onsite booth areas of the festival. The Vendor Relations Chairs will instruct the vendors on where to go, and ensure the delivery or pick-up of necessary supplies to all vendors. The Chairs are also responsible for ensuring the vendors are complying with all rules and regulations. Vendor Chairs will work closely with staff to maintain operations and staff has final discretion.
- Select Vendors
- Recruit New Vendors
- Help with the planning of the vendor placement
- Facilitate vendor set-up
- Work with volunteers to execute proper vendor relations and management during Pride weekend
The volunteers are the heart and soul of pride. They will work with other committees on the volunteer needs of every Pride area. The Volunteer Management Committee will also work to come up with schedules, check-in processes, training information, and anything else that may be needed to equip our volunteers for any Pride event. The Volunteer Management Committee is also responsible for the recruitment of volunteers. They will work with the marketing staff member to get information out to the public about volunteer opportunities. The Volunteer Chairs will work closely with the staff to maintain operations and staff has final discretion.
- Create Training Resources
- Recruitment of new volunteers
- Volunteer Scheduling
- Grow Representation from within Community
- Develop Community Partners with organization ERGs and BRGs
- Track volunteer participation from sponsors within the Pride 365 Sponsorship program
- Volunteer communication and check-in
- Plan volunteer recruitment and appreciation events with Stonewall staff